Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas. It kills more 400 people die in their homes each year.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is especially common during periods of power outage. This is because homeowners throughout Minneapolis fire up their personal home power generators.
Home generators are a leading cause of poisoning by carbon monoxide and, in this 4-minute from NBC’s The Today Show, you’ll learn about home generators, how they operate, and the safety measures everyone homeowner should undertake.
A few basic home generator safety rules, as described in the interview, include :
- Never modify a generator or its engine
- Keep a 10-foot distance between the generator and your home
- Always point the generator’s exhaust away from your home
Furthermore, make sure your home has an ample supply of carbon monoxide detectors, and that they’re operational.
One of the video’s highlights is clever illustration employing a vase of water and a dash of red dye. The demonstration shows just how few carbon monoxide particles are required to cause injury and/or death to a person in your household.
Therefore, if you own a home generator, take 4 minutes watch this video. Safety when home generators is paramount to your health.
Leave a Reply